Saturday, December 13, 2014

Happy birthday, Little J!



Hey, Little J... 


Happy fourth birthday, little girl! I love you. Have I told you lately that I love how you're growing up? Not to fast, not to slow... just right. It's fun that you can have very involved conversations with me. (It's fun that you frequently carry out both sides of involved conversations with, say, stuffed animals. Or infants.) I love that you know and use all the big words you hear us use. I also like that you still say "somefling" instead of "something." I'll admit that I'm not working very hard to teach you the right way to say that... I want to hold on to that very last hint of toddler in your voice. I still call you "Baby J" from time to time, but that's more habit than anything. You're less and less of a baby and more of a little kid. 

It's fun (and sometimes scary) to see the ways you're like me. You're so empathetic. It blows my mind that a three- (now four)-year old can and will pick up and verbalize how people around her are feeling (and respond appropriately), but you frequently do. It's so funny to hear you interact with K and B- you're such a little mama. It's like hearing me, but in a preschooler voice. (And sometimes you say "Oh, MAN!" or "Shoot!" and I realize that sounding like me isn't always a good thing. I'll work on that.) 

I love your fun... The twirls, the dancing, the fairy wings and wanting to "really fly"... I love your songs- both the ones you learned and the ones you make up. (I won't lie- I appreciate that you have pretty good pitch, too. Much easier to hear 2,341 rounds of Frozen songs when they're not off-key.)

I love how you see God. Every pretty sunrise or snowfall finds you saying, "Look, Mama! We should thank God for that!" And the questions. Oh, the questions. You give me a run for my money, child. ("Wait. So God sent Jesus? But Jesus is God! So God sent Himself??? That doesn't make any sense.")  I like that when you're sad, you talk to Him. I also like when you ask him to make your toys "real." (And I like that you tell me, "I asked Him, and I hope He does make my giraffe a REAL giraffe, but if He doesn't, I'm ok with that." Much easier for me that way, to be sure!) You're such a fun blend of little kid and big kid. I am praying that this is the year you understand, really understand about "God's rescue plan." (Because, as cool as you are, it's obvious you need the Holy Spirit every bit as badly as your Mama does.) I am excited to see you grow to understand "grace." (Other than "No! Don't take that away! Give me grace!" when you deserve discipline.) 

I'm excited for this year.

Things you'll learn to read and write and add and draw.

Fun things you'll learn to do. (Swim lessons happening when K turns 3!)

The way you'll learn to relate to your sister and help with your brother. 

Greater control over your words and emotions. (Not perfect- heavens! I'm not that good at it!- just better.) 

Growth in grace and character and wisdom. (As much of those as a 4-year-old can soak up!)

Mostly, I am just excited to see you become more you.

Because you're lovely. And we love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment