Thursday, March 26, 2015

Confused.

Life has been... mildly confusing of late.


Nothing earth shattering, just a few things that seemed like God had been leading me or people around me towards turned out not to actually be His will. And it's throwing me off. Depending on which situation we're talking about, I'm somewhere between annoyed and reallyreally bummed out. I've got all these random out-of-context Bible stories swirling around in my head that my brain keeps applying to my various situations. (Or maybe some of them are things the Holy Spirit is bringing to mind? This is a struggle for me- I have to be pretty stinking sure to label it as "God talking to me" and at this point, I just can't sort it out that well.) None of it makes any real sense. So we've been talking, He and I. I happen (ha!) to be in Job, and, while I would never ever ever in a million years compare my stuff to Job's, reading through his process is helping me with mine. 


See, I ask a lot of "Why?" and "What's going on here?" kinds of questions. 

Not in a demanding way (usually) but just because I'm honestly confused and curious about it. And as I finished Job just now, I'm getting some perspective. He'd been suffering and then arguing with his friends (as a side note- my big take-away from all of Job's frienemies the last couple weeks was a conviction that I make too much of my understanding... just like them. Listen first, talk later. Maybe. But anyway...) and then finally, finally, God steps in. And, rather than directly answer ANY of them, he points out how much bigger he is than all of their arguments and all of Job's problems. And then Job's all, "Oops. I'll stop talking now. I take it back. You're right. You are big." (Paraphrased my me, obviously.) So even though God didn't actually answer any of Job's questions, Job was simply satisfied with the reminder of... God. 


And this has always annoyed me up to now. 

I sort of grudgingly accepted the end of Job... I mean, it's scripture and stuff, but it sure would have been nice to see some actual answers. It seemed like kind of a non sequitur from God and Job seemed ok with that. 


But today? I kind of get it.

Or, rather, I don't, but it's OK. God's big. Bigger than any of my stuff. So much bigger that it doesn't matter for today whether he answers any of my questions or not. 

My stuff is still confusing. I still don't quite understand why some things are the way they are, or why it is that God would so clearly confirm something to me and then, um, not. But there's peace here now, in the knowledge that He's got everything well in hand, and "everything" includes my corner. I don't need to know why. I don't even actually have to ask why. 

2 comments:

  1. (Second attempt at commenting) Not needing to ask why is a sure sign of a mature view of God. I enjoyed reading this, dear niece and friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not sure I'd generally call my view of God mature, but I do hope to work that direction! :)

      Delete